I had a long time friend of mine come over and help me keep things organized. She's a great teacher, so she was well practiced and lots of help! As we waited for all the kids to come, we played a rousing game of "owl, owl, mouse" (aka duck, duck, goose).
While I was at my mom's house, she and her friend collected owl pellets for Peter's party, so they had real owl pellets to dissect! Isn't that cool?? It was a treasure hunt trying to uncover those little bones and such. Some kids found some cool stuff and insisted on keeping them in their bags. I wondered what their moms said when they came home with them.
Afterwards, they practiced their owl abilities and looked for pellets (or easter eggs). Inside they found lots of candy and plastic insects and small animals. It was fun watching them!
After doing such a good job on their hunt, as all owls do, they earned their owl costumes. I spent too much time sewing these things together, but they turned out sooo cute, I decided it was worth it.
I had another hunting game for them to play, and then they went inside where I had huge furniture boxes connected together. They all found a good "nesting" spot and listened to Renee read Owl Moon by Jane Yolen while I got the cake and ice cream ready. I love this book - the pictures are great and the story is classic!! Below are the owl cupcakes. Aren't they fun?!
Last of all were the presents to open. Peter really made out! He got balls, squirt guns, transformers, stuff to do outside, and other stuff. The pictures below are a couple of the presents.
This next one Becca made for him. He sleeps with it every night. It's gone camping with us twice, and is in need of a trip to the dry cleaners.
After all this excitement, you'd think that was enough, but no. Then he got a party at the family reunion as well. Everyone was so good to remember him, I was touched. We gave him a load of Bakugans, which he loved. It's always tricky getting the perfect present. Grandma gave him some weights, and now he thinks he is so tough now, and Grammy gave him a cute board game called Hoot Owl Hoot. Everyone was so generous, and he have had a ton of fun!
Peter is a great 6-year-old. He is a bundle of energy, eager to please and do the right thing. He loves rules and structure. He really likes to be tough (when it's convenient) and even looks forward to getting shots, so he can prove how tough he is. He loves the outdoors - hiking, climbing trees, and swinging on our swings. Peter is a great friend, and loves to meet new people. Just recently 1 of the few boys he knew in his 1st grade class moved to another class. I asked him if that made him sad a little. He looked at me perplexed and said, "Why Mom? I already knew him."
I am impressed with his eagerness to learn. Peter loves to read and memorize things. At church he takes great pride in knowing the answers. He loves to answer questions. When he asks me a question and I say, "I don't know." He says in dissatisfaction, "Just give it your best guess, Mom." He is a great big brother and a great example. As parents, Mike and I are soooo proud of him!
2 comments:
Peter certainly is one special boy. Sure do love that kid! And hey, can you plan my next birthday party? haha
what a HOOT!!! With his glasses on under his owl mask you made, he really does look like an owl. Hey can I come to your place for MY next birthday? You sure invest alot into a WONDERFUL memory
Post a Comment