Monday, September 26, 2011

1st Grade


My oldest boy started 1st grade. The morning was kind of funny. He had been dying to wear his new clothes, but on the 1st day, for some reason, he picked his worn out pants and year old t-shirt. Who knows, maybe it was something he felt more comfortable in. So, as he headed to class (in his old clothes and long hair), he refused to let us take any pictures. After some coaxing and examples of other kids, Peter let us take a quick shot or two - neither of which were great. Oh well.
He liked his first day, and he still is liking school. He is really excited about math and is asking for extra problems to do on the weekends. He's making new friends and having a fun time.
He has a very small class, currently only16 kids! He also has 2 teachers - one teaches English in the morning and the other math in the afternoon. So far, he loves the set-up. Peter loves to meet new people. One of the few people he knew in his class moved out after a week or so. I asked Peter if that made him sad. He looked kind of perplexed and asked me, "Why Mom??? I already knew him."
Peter sees strangers as an adventure, never a deterrent.
I've also been having a hard time getting him to eat his lunch, because he has figured out that the sooner he finishes, the longer of a recess he has. It only took one day. On the second day of school he said, "Mom, it's great. You can get hot lunch, only eat one bite and throw the rest away, and then you can go outside and play!!" Whoa, hold on there bud! Just today he told me he didn't want a treat in his lunch box because he didn't have time to eat it. He says he's got to hurry so he can go play spy during recess. I guess he's having a fun time!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What is this outrage of kids growing up? I remember my days of first grade. It's amazing how quickly time goes. I can't believe it!