The first day wasn't so bad, nor the second day either. On the third day the teacher had them meet in a reading lab before they went to the classroom. I was not fully aware of this, or where the lab was. In the confusion, I lost Peter. I got nervous, thinking he was lost in this big school and could be in any classroom. Finally I found him, and he was right where he needed to be, doing what he should. About half an hour after coming home, I burst into tears. I guess I finally realized how big Peter was, how independent he's getting, and how I need to let go a little bit. As a mother, I'm always preparing my kids for the future: kindergarten, 1st grade, teenage-hood, mission, college, marriage, etc. I guess a mother should be excited when these monumental markers come and your child succeeds. However, as the days fill up with chores, errands, and fun times, I forget the days are coming and going, and can never be relived. So, when Kindergarten came smacking me in the face, I was shocked. Could enough days have passed already for this? Could he really be ready? Have I taught him all I should? Yet, I'm proud of Peter and all that he has become in these past 5 years. He shares, he's thoughtful, he's obedient (usually), he's super inquisitive, and he's a great older brother. I couldn't ask for more. Motherhood can be so heart wrenching and so fulfilling all at the same time.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Kindergarten
The first day wasn't so bad, nor the second day either. On the third day the teacher had them meet in a reading lab before they went to the classroom. I was not fully aware of this, or where the lab was. In the confusion, I lost Peter. I got nervous, thinking he was lost in this big school and could be in any classroom. Finally I found him, and he was right where he needed to be, doing what he should. About half an hour after coming home, I burst into tears. I guess I finally realized how big Peter was, how independent he's getting, and how I need to let go a little bit. As a mother, I'm always preparing my kids for the future: kindergarten, 1st grade, teenage-hood, mission, college, marriage, etc. I guess a mother should be excited when these monumental markers come and your child succeeds. However, as the days fill up with chores, errands, and fun times, I forget the days are coming and going, and can never be relived. So, when Kindergarten came smacking me in the face, I was shocked. Could enough days have passed already for this? Could he really be ready? Have I taught him all I should? Yet, I'm proud of Peter and all that he has become in these past 5 years. He shares, he's thoughtful, he's obedient (usually), he's super inquisitive, and he's a great older brother. I couldn't ask for more. Motherhood can be so heart wrenching and so fulfilling all at the same time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You said it perfectly. We get so busy making the moments...it is sometimes hard to enjoy them. Peter is a wonderful boy and his teacher is lucky to have him!
I still can't believe Peter is old enough to be going to school. It just doesn't help things when time flies by so fast! You're a wonderful mother, and are raising some prize children.
I love how backpacks look so big on these little kids. I bet Peter's teacher is going to be thrilled to have him in their class and he'll have a group of friends that will want their desks to be right next to his all the time. Three Cheers for Peter!
Post a Comment