My sister, Becky had a great blog post where she wrote down her top 7 or 8 favorites on various categories of media. It was so fun to read hers, and sounded like fun to write my own. So, here they are (in no particular order - mostly)!
Books:
1. Anna Karenina - it taught me so much about marriage, loyalty, family, and happiness. It was truly inspired!
2. Les Miserables - Again, an inspired book of repentance, forgiveness, and love. I love the characters!
3. These is my Words - because I have NEVER cried harder in a book!
4. 1000 Splendid Suns - because it was a huge reminder of how big this world is and how blessed I am.
5. The Alchemist (or Siddhartha) - these two books have similar themes and really made me think about what I have to offer this world and what I am working towards
6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - taught me that sometimes you just have to take a chance, as well as some great little pieces of advice I've carried with me.
7. Wheel of Time series - My first book of fantasy that I fell in love with (until book 7) - it was my escape as I worked through graduate school.
8. The Baby Sitters Club - I know, LAME, but how could I leave this out when I read the first 27 books all in order in the 3rd and 4th grade?
Music:
1. Curtis Stigers - My favorite singer in the 2nd grade, and yes, I still have every word and breath he takes memorized from that soundtrack!
2. Les Miserables (broadway) - My family spent many an hour singing these songs, and yes, even acting them out.
3. Sinead O'Connor - Collected all her c.d.s in High School and often fell asleep listening to her as a teenager.
4. Newsies soundtrack - I love that music!
5. Shania Twain - When "Any Man of Mine" came out, it was a huge hit for sure!
6. Neil Diamond - my Mom's favorite that I also grew to love, and because I will always be "Forever in Blue Jeans, Yea!!"
7. Classical Music for Babies - These C.d.s have been my sanity many times as I've paced floors with screaming Elsie and after stressful afternoons with rambunctious cub scouts.
8. Hymns - their words and spirit have come to my rescue a few memorable times
TV shows
1. Quantum Leap - one of the few tv shows Mike and I both grew up watching and loving
2. Fox 13 News - great time to slow down in the evenings, and because it comes on earlier
3. Star Trek, Next Generation - Because Captain Jane Way can run a great ship!
4. Judging Amy - this wasn't on very long, and I only saw a few episodes, but I really loved them
5. Oprah - When I watch it, and it's appropriate for my children as well, I can laugh and cry with her.
6. Regis and Kelly - I think Kelly is hilarious!
7. Saved By the Bell - I must admit, there was a short time that I was a faithful watcher.
Movies - this was the hardest
1. Sound of Music - how can you go wrong! It's great in every way!
2. Anne of Green Gables - I think I relate to Anne's temper, and I love the romance.
3. Pride and Prejudice (A&E version) - it's great to spend 5 hours getting lost in a great romance!
4. Avatar (3D, of course) - Love it, love it, love it!
5. Princess Bride - I've had it memorized since I was 10, I'm sure!
6. Out of Africa - Beautiful scenery and story. I've never cried harder, even a week later while I was vacuuming!
7. The Secret of Nimh - because a mother can do amazing things for her children
8. The Dark Crystal - Here's one for the puppets!!!
4 comments:
So MANY posts....a Grandma heaven!!!!
OOOOOh, I wish I'd read yours before I wrote mine-can I steel some?!
Fantastic list, I might have to copy.
Holy cow! I had a lot of blog catchin' up to do! I love the pictures. Your couch is beautiful and I LOVE Elsie's twirling tutu. Don't you love how you put all this work into the cake and all they want is the ice cream? Classic.
Post a Comment