Saturday, March 23, 2013

Birthday Time!

I put an exclamation to this post because I'm trying to make up for the lack of excitement Michael had  on his birthday.  He was less than thrilled to be turning another year old.  His dad reassured him, though, that he was just now getting in the prime of his life.  You know, we decided to believe him.  His dad will be 80 this year, and when one gets older, there's more strength in one's sage advice.  Hence, the exclamation mark. 
I suppose there's more to that punctuation after all.  Could it stand for my feelings for the wonderful man I married?  You bet!  How lucky I am to be able to celebrate these special days with him because he is so great.  I am always amazed at his talent and energy to get things done and help other people.  I love when he comes home from a long day of work, and after dinner helps clean the kitchen and then plays with the kids before bed to give me a break.  He helps in our home tirelessly.  He is genuinely good, and kind, and thoughtful.  I love him and I love that he is the father of our children.  We are a lucky family to have him.
The kids and I worked hard all day grocery shopping, decorating, making a key lime cake (from a box), gift wrapping, and writing cards.  The more we prepared, the more excited they seemed to get.  By the time Mike came home, they were just bursting!  
We had a fun evening.  Right when Mike came home Kimball ran up to him with his present and said, "It's two chocolates and they're binnected (aka connected)!"  After the kids had shown him their wrapped presents and unique decorations, we had a nice birthday meal:  steaks, salad, homemade bread, and fresh California oranges. 
Then his parents came over and we opened presents.  Mike loves tools, so that's what he got, mostly (except for some binnected chocolates).  Kimball also picked out some flashlights to give.  Mike has a fetish for flashlights, and I couldn't help but noticing how similar Kimball is to his dad's interests already.  Then we all had cake and ice cream (it all happened to be green, I think the kids helped pick the flavor out).
Shortly thereafter, our neighbor came over to watch the kids and Mike and I headed out to go watch Oz at the theaters.  He and I really liked it.  It was a cleaver twist to L. Frank Baum's story and I was impressed Hollywood had created a movie with an actual moral to it.  It was a refreshing and relaxing 2 hour get-away. 
Happy Birthday Mike! 
Here's the kids all giving their presents at once.  They were excited!

Mike just read Elsie's card she worked so hard on. 

 I think Kimball is hoping Dad will share.

Mike's showing Peter how his present he gave him works. 

Mike blew his candles out from clear across the table!

Anna's first cake - it was a hit!

1 comment:

nellie said...

my gosh you guys make such cute babies! Look at that Anna and her big eyes. xoxo