Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas!

This Christmas was another great one - with some not so great stressful moments - just as every Christmas. I LOVED watching each of my children discover and explore the magic of Christmas - each for different reasons.
Kimball was a blast to watch because it didn't take him long to figure out what the presents were all about. Naively, I didn't think he'd be too interested. Little did I know. I wrapped about half our presents twice over because Mr. Inquisitive just loved to rip away! His favorite was a present of his that made sound. I wrapped that one three times. The 2nd time he opened it, the moment he saw me, with toy in hand, he split and ran as fast as he could. Yep, he knew what this "present" thing was all about. What a tease! Christmas morning he loved his stocking, especially the candy and food. He's still carting around, gnawing on this this huge hunk of chocolate Santa brought. What was he thinking, anyway?
Here he is with his beloved present!


Elsie was also a lot of fun because (1) she loves chocolate, (2) it was the first year she wasn't scared of Santa Clause, and (3) because all she wanted for Christmas was a pair of glasses (sunglasses). To address reason #1, what could be more fun for a mother than to indulge with her daughter in a yummy piece of Christmas chocolate? When all my family would turn me down, I could always count on Elsie to help me finish the plate of yummies from the neighbors (not that I ever needed that much help). As to #2, Elsie loved visiting Santa Clause! She told many a stranger that she got to see Santa Clause 3 times: one at the park, one at church, and one at somebody's house. Oh, she loved every encounter! Each time she sat on the Jolly Man's lap, she said she wanted Dora glasses. Yes, she wants to be very much like her older brother, but had to settle for sunglasses since she doesn't need the real things. I was relieved to have an easy order for Santa to fill! She was so excited about all her presents. Just before church one day, she was laying on the stairs and asked her dad, "Dad, can I bring just 1 present to church?" Oh, how hard it is to part with the anticipation!
by the way, Santa and Mom and Dad went in on a doll house as well. Although, I think she's spent just as much time playing with her glasses.

Peter was absorbed in the mystery of the North Pole and Santa and his elves. Would you believe that he had a REAL elf visit their class at school? I heard about him every day, his name was Christopher. How exciting - a real elf from the North Pole! He also enjoyed his visits to Santa Clause, always asking for a remote control helicopter. Gulp - those weren't intended for boys under age 8. Would Santa Clause cave and give it to him anyways? I'm sure there was much deliberation. Well, in the end, he indeed did cave. Peter thinks it's because he left Santa a little present with his cookies on Christmas Eve. That may have been it. Peter loved the presents as well, and would organize them in piles and cart them around the house wherever he went. Oh, it was SOOO exciting, I thought he would burst. He loved Christmas and was a champ Christmas day when his helicopter didn't work (luckily, Santa fixed the problem a few days later). The day I decided to take the tree down, I went downstairs to begin the job, and found Peter staring at it, crying. We waited another day. Christmas is so exciting, but it does end much too abruptly.


Mom and Dad gave him a light saber, and Grammy and Poppy gave him 3 Webkinz - he loves them!
To sum it all up, we had a great Christmas. Mike was sweet and gave me flannel sheets, which he dislikes. Aren't I a lucky girl! All the gifts we received (physically and spiritually) were given sincerely and lovingly, and we appreciate everyone that contributed to the spirit of Christmas in our home.


3 comments:

Michelle said...

I cannot believe how big my little niece and nephews have gotten! In every way! Sure do love those kids of yours. It's fun to see the progression of what Christmas means with age. Loved the post :)

Mama Tales said...

This Grandma is in picture HEAVEN! Lucky Kimball, he got to experience Christmas several times over.

Rebecca said...

I concur with Michelle, the photos and stories are making them look too big to be true! You painted a great picture in this post, I loved reliving Christmas at the Jeppsons