Thursday, August 12, 2010

Separate Vacations

Mike and I took our first separate vacations this summer. He wanted to go into the Wind Rivers with his brothers. It's kinda family tradition. I wasn't dying to spend a whole week all by myself with the kids, so me and the kids flew to my parents home. Mike and I had very different, fun adventures.
Mom's adventure:
The airplane ride with the kids was such an adventure. I got so many looks (crazy and sympathetic) from strangers in the airport, and I guess I don't blame them. The four of us finally got to our terminal and boarded the plane on time, so I can't complain. Peter and Elsie had soooo much fun. As the plane took off Peter yelled, "This is AWESOME!!" and Elsie laughed like she was on a lagoon ride, yelling, "WHOOAAA!"

As we got off the plane, Peter said, "I wish we could live here!"
When we finally got to my parents, the fun began. My sister, Becky, arrived there with her family just shortly after us, so there was lots of company for my parents, which equated to a lot of fun. We stayed at Grandma and Grandpa's for a week, and if I could find a common thread for the week it would be Birthday Parties! My mom threw a 'birthday party' for her grandkids, since she can't make it to their real birthdays, and party it was! There was good food, balloons, cake, party favors, and even presents for all the kids to open. They were spoiled rotten and lovin' it. A few days later, my dad had a birthday, and then at the end of the week my sister, Michelle, had a birthday as well. I ate so much dessert while I was there, I was stuffing myself full of Mom's great buttermilk chocolate cake every chance I could get! There is no boxed mix that can beat my Mom's.
Without all the birthday parties, it still was a party to my kids every day. Elsie was beside herself playing with her cousin, Eden, all the time. She called her "my new friend" and still asks for her "new friend" almost 3 weeks later.

Peter really bonded with his Uncle Micah because he was the only one that had the patience to play the Wii with him. Peter loved Grandma's Wii! He played for hours on end, and I chalked it up to vacation (his and mine - we both needed it).

What would a trip to the country be without a tour of a dairy? We tried to get Peter to milk the cow, but there was no way he was havin' it! I can't say I blamed him too much, it took me a few deep breaths before I grabbed onto the tit of a cow and squeezed. I am very grateful to the beasts, but I think if almond milk were more affordable, I'd be going that route after this experience.

I have a brave sister, Becky, who let a baby cow suck on her fingers. We tried to get Peter to give it a try (who is also brave), but he couldn't quite get himself to take the plunge.

I think the most exciting part about the tour for Peter and Elsie were the coloring books, cow erasers, pens, and even fruit snacks that were given out at the end. They thought this was sooo cool! Thanks Nesha for the fun time!

Another great country experience....gathering eggs from chickens of course! My mom had yet another friend who was willing to indulge the grandkids.
Peter was really excited about the eggs. He loved gathering!

Grandma is always a great helper.

....and so was Grandpa at the end of the day.

This little guy was such a trooper! He came along for the ride and seemed to go with the flow where ever we went. What a cutey.

We wore ourselves out at Grandma's. At one point Elsie fell asleep eating on Grandma's lap. It was hilarious, and we even captured it on video. However, I couldn't get it to upload. We had a great time. Thanks Mom and Dad!!!

As the kids and I arrived at the Salt Lake Airport baggage claim, I looked around and could not see any sign of Mike. I waited for a while, but after a few minutes the kids started climbing on the baggage claim and getting in trouble, so I decided it was time to leave. I loaded up all three huge, heavy duffel bags over me (I had Kimball in a Bundleme in the front), and we headed to the parking garage. We climbed the escalators, no problem, and we headed for the walkway that's like a big treadmill (I hope you know what I'm talking about). By the time we got to the walkway thing, my arms and back were burning from all the heavy weight. I let the kids on first, and then I climbed on and dumped all the duffel bags in front of me to give my weary body a rest. Just as we were nearing the end, Mike walks through the doors from the parking garage, just in time to see the train wreck. I hollard to the kids, "Look there's Daddy!"
This must have been too much distraction for Elsie, because she forgot to get off the walkway thing. She just sat there staring at her dad, and then the baggage hit her, and hit her again. I was next, and I was carrying Kimball. As I neared the duffel bags, I leaped over them, then I leaped over Elsie, and then I landed on my hands and knees on the other side of the wreck. All my children were okay, but it was the pinnacle of a very long day of traveling with 3 kids, and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Mike helped me up and helped gather everything up and took care of things immediately. He is so great, and I was SO glad to see him!

4 comments:

Mama Tales said...

We did have a GREAT time! The house hasn't been the same since everyone left!!!! We miss you alllll!!!!!!!

Gel said...

What a fun trip. Its always nice to go home!! It does get a little crazy when you go without a husband. I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets looks from other people like I'm crazy!! Hope you're doing well!!

Natalie said...

What a fun vacation! I am jealous, our 2nd Utah/Idaho trip got canceled.

By the way, I LOVE your new blog design!

Micah Brown said...

Eden still plays with those erasers nearly every day. whoa, that scene at the airport was tooo commical, I'm sure it wasn't at the time. But I bet all that hurdling in high school came back quickly! Missing you.

p.s. all the comments are of course, Becky, not Micah-whoops