Sunday, July 19, 2015
#IAmAPioneer
July 24th is a holiday for the LDS church where we commemorate Brigham Young entering the Salt Lake Valley (through Immigration Canyon) and saying, "This is the Place!" Those Mormon Pioneers definitely sacrificed a lot and left an amazing legacy for me, and others, to follow. The LDS church is making a point to focus on modern day pioneers, and encourages others to leave their legacy for future generations. During my readings on some modern pioneers from the website, I came accross this quote I really liked:
“A pioneer is not a woman who makes her own soap. She is one who takes up her burdens and walks toward the future.” Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
I liked that definition, and I definitely know some modern day pioneers, including each member of my family. So I got to thinking, what's my legacy? What am I leaving behind? My decision to homeschool our children definitely makes me feel like a pioneer. As I prayed to know how to help my son while he was completing the 1st grade about 3 1/2 years ago, the thought to homeschool settled into my mind. I recently found this quote, "The Holy Ghost can carry us to places and tasks that our mind will not allow." I have definitely found this to be true, and following those promptings is a great way to be a pioneer. While I was seeking out the avenue to homeschool, I was reading the Book of Mormon early one morning and I read 1 Nephi chapter 18, where Nephi is commanded to build a ship, not after the manner of men, but how it was revealed to him by the Lord. Part of versus 2 and 3 read, "I did build after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me....Wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things." These words sank deep into my heart, and I knew I had to trust God as I took this leap of faith to take my son out of school to teach him at home. I doubt the pioneers knew the effect their choices would make to their posterity and the future of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This scripture is my hope, and something I feel God lead me to as a promise - that if I would trust him, he would reveal great things for my family. Being a pioneer takes courage and faith, but brings great blessings. This is my small, simple story. I know many of you have wonderful stories of greater faith and courage. I would love to read yours in any sort of social media of your choosing - just write it and comment below where I could find it. Cheers to pioneers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
[cousin Sarah here.] I love your pioneer spirit. You are inspiring. I also love Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. I met her once. She was lovely. We talked about Idaho Falls. She was familiar with Grandpa Taylor's name. xo
Post a Comment