Saturday, July 11, 2015

Fireworks and birthday candles

Last weekend was another busy 4th - with the birth of our nation and the birth of our firstborn to celebrate.  We had a fun weekend of setting off and watching fireworks.  I love the neighborhood gatherings fireworks create.  Our family has the most amazing neighbors that have become some of our closest friends.  It's always fun to have an excuse to come together. 
When we watch the city fireworks, extended family comes together, and that's always fun as well.  This is especially so because we can celebrate Peter's birthday, as well as his cousin's, who was born just a few hours later on the 4th.  Adam really love the fireworks!  He yelled in excitement and giggled at the bright explosions.  I spent about as much time watching him enjoying the fireworks as I did watching show itself. 
Peter and Elsie prepared and celebrated the 4th of July by participating in a Patriot Camp.  They really loved learning about the founding of our country, learning sign language to our national anthem, memorizing the preamble of the constitution, and dipping candles, making butter, setting off a canon, and writing secret messages to name some favorites.  Kimball is excited to join them next year. 
Annnnd, Peter turned 10 through the excitement of everything else.  Yikes!  Are we really into double digits already?  He is getting bigger,  becoming more responsible, working harder, and becoming more and more aware of the world around him.  I guess that's what growing up is all about - seeing one's place in the wide, wide world, and learning to accept and fulfill one's personal mission.  I can see Peter taking little steps on this journey that I find myself continually adjusting for myself as well.
For his birthday, Peter was more than ready to retire his Lightening McQueen comforter for a new plaid and red blanket for his bed.  His grandma's each gave him some money which he has enjoyed spending on a new Nerf gun and bullets.  His dad also gave him a really cool flashlight.  It''s a father/son fetish.   
I am so proud of my little man and the choices he is making.  He is such a good example to his siblings - he is kind to them and sharing.  He works hard to bring peace into our home.  Peter is my right hand when we are in public, helping me look after my keys, purse, and children.  He is the perfect fit into our family - oh how we need Peter!  Happy birthday!   




2 comments:

Michelle said...

Nice cake. Fabulously layered! ;) but really, it turned out good! And it all looks like so much fun. I miss you guys!

Mama Tales said...

Peter is surely growing up! Can't wait to see my 10 year old grandson!