Wednesday, March 18, 2015

January Tea Time

For Elsie's birthday this year she wanted to celebrate it with cousins.  I asked my mom a month or so in advance if she wouldn't mind holding a little tea party for Elsie and her cousins for her birthday.  My mom, ever so nonchalantly, agreed.  As the day grew closer for the tea party, my mom kept mentioning little things over the phone like, "Oh hey, I just found these frozen macrons and picked them up," and "I ordered some cute hats for the party," as well as, "I just put a little cake in the freezer for the big day."  I slowly gathered this wasn't going to be a little tea party.  I told my mom I'd bring a bouquet of "garden" flowers down.  Elsie has a cousin whose birthday is about 10 days before her own, so we decided to make it a party for two.
I had stayed up way too late a couple nights sewing some aprons for Elsie and her cousin, Eden.  I'm not much of a seamstress, so it took longer than it should have, but they turned out really cute.  I had let Elsie pick out the material for her apron, and being the animal lover she is, she found one with deer on it.  It was nothing close to what I would have picked out for her, but it ended up turning out and really reflected her personality.
The tea party was drawing nearer, and Mike and I and the family drove down the night before and stayed at his brother's home.  From there we picked up another of Elsie's cousins and headed down to Nonny and Poppy's.  While we were headed down, we found out Eden had just come down with strep throat.  It was a devastating blow.  She took the party favors from Nonny's house and headed home, missing her own birthday party.  I think that is about the saddest thing for a little girl.
When we arrived, the spread was beautiful!  We all ate on beautiful china tea cups and enjoyed our choice of teas and hot chocolate, crustless sandwiches, pudding, cake, cookies, and mints (all of which were miniature bite-sized).  The girl's all donned on their cute hats from Nonny (complete with flowers and ribbons), and set their dolls they had brought in a miniature seat next to them.  We sat around the table and talked about general points of interest and said things like, "Thank you, but I shall have no tea," when we were full.  It was so fun, and Elsie was so impressed.  Afterwards she confided in me with a big smile, that she had no idea Nonny would give her such a fancy tea party. 
Elsie got some really thoughful presents also.  She is really into American Girl books and the mini-dolls.  My mom gave her a new mini-doll and Eden had given her a mini-doll as well that had been given to her.  I was so impressed by my sweet niece's dear heart.  Elsie loved them both.  Aunt Michelle gave her a miniature tea set that came with a set of paints (which we had so much fun with!), and I gave the aprons.  It was such a hit.
 Later, for our family birthday, Mike and I made a couch and two beds for her doll house and American Girl dolls, and her other grandma took her shopping and bought her a kitchen set for her doll house as well.  Elsie was really spoiled by both of her grandmas.  Each of them really went out of their way to make her feel grown-up and special.  Thanks again Nonny!
I can't find any pictures, so sorry!


1 comment:

Mama Tales said...

It was so fun to share Elsie's birthday! Thanks Rachel! Ill send a picture!