Wow, the holiday seasons are here, and life definitely does pick-up, as if things weren't fast-paced enough already. However, I've been pondering the value of gratitude this month, and I wanted to share some of my thoughts.
It all began when I listened to President Uchtdorf's talk about gratitude, which you can find here. He talks about being grateful regardless of the quantity of our blessings, but rather, to find gratitude in our circumstances. He declared, "Gratitude is a catalyst to all Christlike attributes! A thankful heart is the parent of all virtues." Ahhh. My heart needs to grow in gratitude as I ponder the beautiful plan of salvation Christ has made available to all. That alone should be enough to fill my heart with deep gratitude. Christ has broken the bonds of death and I can choose to return to live with him some day. What a gift He has given me, and each of His children.
I was also talking to a friend about Job. She pointed out that after he had suffered so much, he knelt down and praised the Lord, and then said, “Naked came I out of my
mother’s womb, and naked shall I return … : the Lord gave, and the Lord
hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
This tied right into President Uchtdorf's talk, about finding gratitude in every circumstance we find ourselves. I thought of the need to strip myself of any sense of entitlement, and praise God throughout any trial. Thank goodness for Job, because no matter how hard that seems, I know it can be done.
I have also been learning more about the pilgrims with my kids. Up until this year, I've heard the story of the pilgrims and it's sounded so trite and cliche to me. This year, however, I've internalized their bravery and courage so they could teach their children in their religious and cultural preferance. This was more important than any indulgence and even more important than their lives. Many of this brave group of 50 did end up giving their lives to this cause, but they also made American history - laying the foundation for what this great nation would be built upon. I am grateful for them, and I am grateful for the sacrifices of so many others who have given me freedoms and instilled in me character and virtue. Most of all, I am thankful for my Savior who made it possible for me to repent and return to live again with him some day.
Indeed, I am grateful in my circumstance, and working on being even more so. I have been so abundantly blessed that I know it is easier for me to be grateful than others. I also know there will be days when it will be harder for me to be grateful than it is right now, because that is life. I hope I always remember the words of President Uchtdorf, of the example of Job, and other brave heroes who have proved to be grateful in their circumstances.
No comments:
Post a Comment