
On Labor Day weekend my sister Michelle came up to visit. I love it when family comes to visit, and this time was no exception. On Labor Day our family, Michelle, and a friend of hers went on a five mile hike called The Crimson Trail. Hubby and I hiked it over 11 years ago when we were dating. Hiking it with 5 kids in toe is quite a different experience. For example, it took us 4 hours instead of 2 to hike. At times it was tedious, and the last mile never seemed to end.

However, I got to slow down and experience nature with the kids rather than just follow a trail. John Muir would have been proud. At the very beginning, they were in a trance watching a spider roll up one of it's catchings to drink later. It was so captivating. We soon had to stop (oh so frequently!) to collect snail shells, feathers, special sticks that became wands, and moss piles (which they still have growing in their rooms). We also stopped and enjoyed a picnic along the way, and had snacks from the trail of sour elderberries (they weren't quite ripe yet), mint leaves, and even a rose hip for the brave and bold. By the end of the hike their pockets and hands were stuffed with treasures.
At the very end of the trail there is a little bit of mountain water hikers can walk through, but we had to be careful because the moss from the water makes it very slippery. I went first and set a very good example of how careful they should be because I fell almost immediately while I was holding Adam. I was so worried I had hurt him, but instead I just gave him (and myself) a good fright. The other kids had a blast in the freezing cold water, and Kimball even rolled around in it. Brrrr! I was really proud of all of them, especially Kimball, for hiking the whole thing all by themselves.
It was a great day and a big thanks to Michelle and her friend for having the patience to hike with us!
1 comment:
Are you kidding? That hike was awesome! Your kiddos totally reawakened me to the beauty of the earth I take for granted every day. It may have been slow, but still delightful nonetheless. Thanks for a fun time!
Post a Comment