I know there are plenty of other things to write about that many are eager to read, but another time, another day. Right now I want to talk about lions.
I was just reading a children's book about elephants and found out they eat 20 hours a day. "Whoa," I thought, "Wouldn't that be nice!" Then I thought about lions, who sleep for 20 hours a day, and I wondered which one I would rather do; and if I had to pick, would I choose to be a lion or an elephant?
Being an elephant first sounded appealing. Then I started thinking about food, especially elephant food. I don't think I would like to eat acacia leaves and bark for 20 hours out of every day. Then I thought if I could be an elephant and still eat human food, would that change things for me? Hmmm. I decided food is a love/hate relationship for many of us. First off, it costs. There's always the grocery store bill looming over me, especially when I splurge on indulgent food. Then there are all the food choices that get tricky: would I spend my time eating really healthy food or junk food, or some kind of ratio of both? What even is healthy food any more? Solely organic (yikes, that could be pricy eating 20 hours every day!)? Vegan or at least hormone free? Maybe a gluten free diet? How about a raw food diet? Who knows. Maybe it would be simpler just to stick to an elephant diet and eat leaves and bark all day after all. Obviously, it didn't take me long to revert to my old desires of wanting to be a lion.
I decided lions have the good life all in all. Heck, male lions don't even have to hunt for their food; the ladies take care of that. Maybe if I had to be an elephant, I'd outsource all the food decision making, just like the male lion does with the hunting. However, it was the sleep that really appealed to me. Sleep is precious; it requires nothing but a relaxed body. One doesn't have to over-think when it comes to sleeping and lounging. In fact, over-thinking can really be a problem when it comes time to sleep. Since lions are on top of the food chain, there is nothing that could bother a good slumber - no intruding fear or worry. Oh, to be a lion: to not have to worry, to eat what's given you, and to sleep and lie about most of the day. That's what I'd sign up for.
If anyone happening to read this would like to share their thoughts on what animal they'd like to be, please do share. I'd love a new perspective on this one.
No comments:
Post a Comment