I came across this article today from the Ensign while I was home from church with sick kids. It was an article about overcoming perfectionism. This vice is somehow revered, especially among women, nowadays. I came to understand the problem with perfectionism when I was reading a book called A Nation of Wimps: The High Cost of Invasive Parenting, and how debilitating and detrimental to one's progression it could be. If I could graph my triumph over being a perfectionist, it would be directly correlated to the increase in our family. The anecdote for me has largely contributed to the number of children we have had.
The article I read explained how understanding the atonement of Jesus Christ can help one overcome perfectionism, and that only through the grace of Christ can one be made perfect. It is so easy for me to be overtaken by business: kids need to be fed, the house needs to be cleaned, diapers need to be changed, goals and deadlines need to be met, and service needs to be rendered. These are all necessary things, but the part in the article that caught my attention was this: "For those who feel physically or emotionally exhausted, start getting regular sleep and rest, and make time to eat and relax. Recognize that being busy is not the same as being worthy and being worthy does not require perfection." What a great reminder that was for me.
So, if anyone happens to come over and see my somewhat messy house, a child running around half dressed, or paper plates in the garbage, know I am not striving for perfection. Instead, I am striving for an increase in love and patience by increasing my devotion to God. As Elder Gong (the author of the article) explained, "Impatience impedes faith." I loved that quote because I pray for patience almost every day. I need increased faith that as I put my trust in God, and do the things the Lord inspires me to do, that a balanced life which emulates my Savior will ensue.
No comments:
Post a Comment