Thursday, November 21, 2013

Women are like dogs....

Hmmm.... I've thought a lot about this phrase someone once told me.  I was talking to someone over a decade ago and he mentioned how women were like dogs, in that they often prefer unkind beaus.  At first I was insulted, but then I had to give him a little credit.  Sometimes it is true.
I have been reading Gone With the Wind the past few weeks and I'm at a point in the book where I am steaming mad at Scarlett (which I'll address later) and find myself defending the rouge Rhett Butler, and I find myself questioning, "Am I lowering myself to 'dog' status?"  I'm trying to figure out what it is about the character Rhett that draws my heart to him.  Obviously, his good looks, strength, self-assurance, smile, grace, and stylish clothes help!  But then I think of his low morals and utter selfishness, and his lesser sin of tactlessness, I wonder, "Am I drawn to him because I can overlook this ugliness in his, or because it's exciting to revel in a little wickedness?"  So, this is what I've come to...I'm not drawn to his wicked ways, and I am quite repelled by them.  BUT a lady likes to be pleasing to the eye to her male counterparts (may I even dare say, sexy), and it is always the unhallowed eye that appreciates the good looks and shape of a woman, which look Rhett so often gives.  It may cause us women some discomfort, but deep down, we feel smug and desireable. (By the way, I am not talking about a look of slimy vulgarity.)  It's not the sin that's attractive, but perhaps it's the result of the sin.  It sounds scandalous, but it may be just so for many women.  Hence, I guess I'm saying, if this book were real life, I would find myself intriguingly wagging my tail at this abasing character.
Then I have to wonder, if women are like dogs because they are drawn to somewhat filthy men,  what does that make all the men that are always drawn to Scarlett?  So here is my simile for men...Men are like worms.  Yes, they enjoy their muddy homes, but after a good rain, when the soil is most comfortable, they are drawn blindly towards the sun.  They think the sun's rays will feel so good, and they become irresistibly allured, so they follow the warmth of this great sun, only to find themselves shriveled and writhing in the road when everything is said and done.  Yes, men are like worms that are drawn to self-serving, manipulating, vindictive women, when they can't see past a pair of fine eyes and a twisted smile.
After thinking about all this, I've decided it would just be nice and comfortable if males and females were simply honest, loyal, and respectful towards one another, and then things wouldn't have to be so confusing, and none of us would ever abase ourselves to acting like dogs or worms.  Ahh, yes, those would be the days.  How glad I am to be removed from the true world of dating and to have myself a man who is all of those things - honest, loyal, and respectful (as well as strong, confident, good-looking, and a great smile to boot).  In many ways, my life is simple and enduring and full of love.  How I am grateful.   
I'm sure when I'm done reading this book, there will be more thoughts and final words.  I will be sure to keep you posted.

1 comment:

Mama Tales said...

I can't WAIT to hear what you think of the end! AND to talk about it! I love how thoughtful you are when you read. I wish you were in MY bookclub!