Sunday, April 18, 2010

Three Kids

You may have noticed the picture of our family on this blog lacks our family in its entirety. I am fully aware of this and have thought about getting around to update that for several months now. You may have also noticed that it's been a while since I have posted a blog. I have also noticed this. What you probably don't know is there's a pile of clothes too small for Kimball to wear laying in my bedroom, a mess of several undone projects lying around in our computer/craft room, books with bookmarks that haven't moved in months, and kids' toys scattered in every nook and cranny of my home. There is a kink I have been facing for half a year now, called three kids. Since Kimball's edition, I have entered a whole new realm of stress, multitasking, and involuntary selflessness.
I really enjoy the sweet moments of mothering: when my 4-year-old hands me weeds that have flowered and tells me he loves me all the way up to heaven and back, or when Elsie grabs my head and shoves it on her pillow, telling me to lay down with her "one more minute", and Kimball's laughs are always contagious. These moments are indeed precious, and well treasured.
However, there are plenty other moments of nose picking, diaper changing, spit-up cleaning, bum wiping, baby feeding, food warming, shoe tying, child dressing, teeth brushing, spill cleaning, fight stopping, tantrum throwing, disciplining, chore enforcing, and follow-throughing, that are mundane, tedious and/or hair pulling. They seem to never end, and still I must find time for cooking and cleaning and keeping up on regular household chores.
When I finally have a chance to breathe, I can do something constructive as a mother with my children and get some book reading, board game playing, ball throwing, chasing, hide-and-seeking, tickling, story-telling, crafting, teaching, giggling, and holding, hugging, and kissing. Motherhood definitely has it's rewards in sweet moments, but on a daily basis I frequently remind myself, "Rachel, you've always liked a challenge!" and then I dig my heels in, take a deep breath, and try to persevere without yelling, screaming, crying, throwing (an object, not my children), or quitting.
So, the piles may keep growing, blog posts may continue lagging, and books and projects will continue waiting, because I am searching for footing. As Kimball turns 6 months next week, I have noticed things are getting easier, and I feel like my tip toes are beginning to touch the ground after these 6 months of treading. It's exciting as I see things beginning to balance out and my life take on new meaning as it is shifting and adjusting as life is changing. What could be next?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I think you should run away to Albuquerque. It will make you feel better. :)

If you can't, I personally think you are amazing and doing a great job with your wonderful kids.

Deb said...

You are amazing! I'll say it again. You are AMAZING!

Rebecca said...

If you add any more "ing"s I'm going to pass out!

Aubrey said...

I think you've already got the important stuff covered ... as indicated by your great kids... So,let the chips fall where they may.

p.s. I love your quote of the day! Elsie is always a perfect angel in nursery :)

lanita said...

Just think how ripped your calf muscles will be after your time standing on tip-toes. :)