Monday, January 5, 2009

Our Nativity....Take 2

During the month of December, Peter had the opportunity to take part in 2 nativity plays. One was through his home-based preschool he does with a group of neighborhood children. Peter was asked to be Joseph, Great! Or so I thought. Peter threw a fit and said there was no way he was going to be Joseph. "So Peter, what would you like to be?" I asked patiently.
He responded, "The little drummer boy."
Hmmmm. Of all the accounts I've read in the Bible.... I thought our Christmas carols had gotten the best of us this time. After explaining that wasn't an option, he then decided he wanted to be "the mean king." King Herod, Great?? After more discussion we were finally settled on a decision, and he wanted to be an angel.
So, we rehearsed lines, and in the morning of the nativity play, I gather costume pieces up for an angel. We head to preschool. As I started getting him dressed he asks, "Mom, where's my wings?" I had forgotten the wings. Needless to say, during the nativity, Peter decided to be a bystandard. Sigh.
Second Nativity was with his cousins on Christmas Eve. Gulp, as "Nativity time" rolled around I began to get nervous. However, Peter never ceases to amaze me as he piped up with, "I want to be Joseph!" Really? What a grand Joseph he was as he carried his little sack of goat cheese and led his cousin Mary to the stable. I was so proud!

3 comments:

Deb said...

I'm glad he got to be Joseph :)

Rebecca said...

Don't we all get stuck in these "mind ruts" sometimes. Kids vocalize them more. I'm impressed, he knew the nativity so well to choose so many characters!

Mama Tales said...

I'm with Rebecca, he obviously knows what Christmas is all about. Wish I could have watched him. MOM